Thursday, February 4, 2010

Abby's All Grown Up! (Well, her teeth are...)

Today, Abby had her ulcers *hopefully* fixed...she went in to get her dental done, recommended by the emergency vet since she had ulcers in her teeny little mouth...I had to stumble out of bed an hour early this morning so that she was awake in time to get to the vet...luckily, my mom was willing to take her to get her teeth done before I had to leave for work, so I handed Abby over to mom and crawled back into bed (I don't really wake up until I've had my coffee anyways)...

I called mom once I was awake, asked how it went on the drop off, and she says all the ladies at the office just "ooh"d and "ahh"d over Abby, commenting on her cuteness, sweetness, and three-legged-ness (smile). She was to be ready at 5pm (mom said she'd do the pick up since I would be at work), but out of surgery by 2pm....so mom called me when she found out that Abby's surgery went okay...

Abby had 16 puppy teeth extracted, and 4 pre-molars removed...She still has all her grown-up teeth that she had before (they could still be coming in, as she's only 8.5 months old), minus the four pre-molars...but apparently the roots of the puppy teeth had wound their way around her grown up teeth in some places so bad that the vet was worried he would have to break the mandible (which I believe is her jaw bone)...And some of the teeth were so badly ruined and ulcerated that they had to be cut in half before being extracted!!! Geesh! Talk about if it weren't for bad luck...

When I got home, she came to the front of her play pen and jumped up, which is normal for her, but she looked a bit sedated (post-anesthesia, I would assume...). She had to have been hungry, as she wasn't allowed to eat after 10PM the night before the surgery...so once I was sitting down, I had a bottle of ham babyfood, and she ate RIGHT OUT OF THE BOTTLE!!! She is on a month of all mushy and liquid food dieting, as the vet is concerned about her poor mouth, which had ulcers on the roof of her mouth and on the back of her throat.

She sat in my lap the rest of the evening, sleeping off and on, surprisingly NOT curious about my hamburger (quite a relief, as she usually eats my food, ripping it out of my hands/mouth, eating more than I usually do if she is in my lap), She's now sleeping quite contentedly in her soft mesh crate, and I am just hoping that the painful puppy teeth were the cause of all her problems - maybe now she can have a healthier digestive system...

It's just amazing that despite everything this little girl has been through, she is still one of the SWEETEST dogs I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I just love her so much. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment