Friday, November 27, 2009

Abby's First Thanksgiving!




Well, Abby's been on a bland diet, so she didn't get to enjoy all the trimmings we did at Thanksgiving Dinner, but she had a front row seat to all the preparations!! Traditionally, we thoroughly clean the house right before Thanksgiving, so that we are set for the rest of the year. Also, right after Thanksgiving we decorate the house for Christmas...so, Wednesday, since I was off from school, I proffered myself to my mom for cleaning assistance! And Abby was right there, at first whining in her play pen because she couldn't be RIGHT with me at all times. So, I grabbed the papoose sack, and carried her around as I dusted, cleaned windows, and the kitchen appliances. Of course, I had to be very careful about everything I used, making sure she wasn't downwind of anything (she sneezed as I dusted, but no other complaints...).

She was so content as I carried her around, creating a rhythmic cadence that comforted her, for she fell asleep and slept for most of the day. When I realized I couldn't windex the windows without making her uncomfortable (it's hard when having a dog attached to you makes you look like you're seven months along!), I put her back in the play pen. But by that time, my mom had gotten to the living room, and she was cleaning the floors right near Abby...but she still wanted to be near me, so I hastened through windexing the windows and put her back in her sack so that I could clean other things.

Thanksgiving Day, she was back in the sack in the morning, as I moved around, doing little things here and there, but mostly just reading. When it was getting time to eat, in her stroller she went, although I moved the stroller around the house with me as I moved around. As it got time to eat, the turkey smells infiltrating the house must've made her sleepy, because she slept through the whole meal! And during our game of Uno afterwards, and during an airing of "The Princess Bride" as we ate pie, quoting lines from the movie ahead of time...she decided to wake up right as I was curling into bed a little early, for I didn't get my post-Turkey meal-nap!

But that's okay, she is doing amazingly well. As I type this, she is pressed against the mesh on her soft crate, so she can sense me, I guess. The little girl seems to be afraid of the dark...if I shut off the light before she falls asleep, she whines...so I leave the light on till she falls asleep, staring at me....

She's still on meds once a day now, and we don't know whether or not and when we can put her back on the meds that treat the pinched nerve...I can't believe we've had her four months already! Sometimes I think how difficult it will be to find the right furever home for this little pup, and that's fine with me. She's got a place here for as long as she would like, as she's already got a piece of my heart!



No comments:

Post a Comment