Sunday, November 1, 2009

Catching Flies and the First Check-Up

Well, it's been a nice week for Abby, until her check-up, but we'll get to that later...

We took a nap when I was home at lunchtime most days this week, and one day, we had let open the back door. When that happens, flies usually come in to escape the heat. Well, Abby was sitting in my lap, belly up for a belly rub, and dozing off to sleep easily...Until a fly decided to annoy her, that is...!

Abby did not like to be bothered by the fly, and at first she just snapped at it a few times. But then it really got to her...She actually got up from the belly rub position, stood up, and growled at the fly for a while...slightly wagging her tail she tried to catch the fly a few times...Snap snap snap, and no luck. She sat back down, watching the fly buzz around. It didn't help that I kept trying to shoo away the fly as well. But it was persistent!

After about five minutes of snap snap snap, growl wag growl snap snap snap, SHE CAUGHT THE FLY! Oh, she was so excited too! She caught it and it was gone...kinda gross, but I was glad she was happy for herself...

I took her with me to class on Saturday morning before adoptions. I had to leave class early to get one of those fall-time vaccinations, and I had her with me...Now that she has found her voice I sometimes worry if she is going to give herself away! But she was perfectly quiet at the doctor's office :)

When we got to adoptions, my mom had brought the stroller for Abby to sit in and see everyone (including me) as well as be comfortable. She made herself right at home in the stroller once she had a Greenie (boy, does she LOVE those!!)...and adoptions were going pretty well.

My friend is home from college this weekend and visited at adoptions, and got to see and hold Abby. She hasn't met her and so it was nice for her to see another of my aspects - the rescue side, complete with my foster baby! Abby was kind of a hit for those people who managed to see her, as she spent most of the day just sitting and watching (and a few times I got to hold her as well).

We were getting her ready for her post-op check-up, changing into her velcro dress, when we noticed that her drain was missing...it had been there about five minutes before...So we figured she must have pulled it out or it got caught in her dress...but it was nowhere to be found so I went to her appointment early.

She was supposed to get the drain taken out provided there were no complications, but it worried me that she had managed to loosen it on her own...When the vet finally got to see her, she seemed a little concerned about Abby. Abby was given some lydocane (?) to numb the area so the vet could look for the drain, thinking maybe it had eased back into the part of her muscle where it was being held in place...couldn't find it and there were no tears, so that part was okay...

But the little bit that Abby had managed to get to her stitches, she had started a little ulcer there with her licking. And a small patch had started to blacken in necrosis...The vet told me that I couldn't have anything touching or rubbing against that spot for at least the rest of the week, and that she HAS to wear the elizabethan collar...I told the vet how we managed to get away with not wearing it since the dress secured by her collar had managed to (mostly) keep her out of her boo-boo...But on with the elizabethan collar folded down, and no cute sweaters to wear this week. She's not happy about the collar and she's gotten a little cold in the last day, but I told her "One day when all that hair grows back and your boo-boos are healed, you'll thank me!"

Unfortunately, she's been a little bit "mud butt". My mom and I had to clean her up a bit this morning, and ever since, she's been awful...flatulent. But I think that's better than her not eating and having constipation, and she got all her meds today!

So it's been another step in her journey, and it keeps getting interesting !! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment